Happy Tuesday Friends!
We just got back last night from Hawaii, where we go a few times a year to visit family and hang out in the little town where I lived when I was little. (A post on the trip, coming this week!)
We like to try to stay fairly healthy when we travel; we eat well, and basically don't stop moving - it seems like every day we hike, swim, surf, bike, explore... But if you know me, you know I love a Mai Tai, and a few of those might have snuck in this vacation (insert monkey-covering-mouth emoji). I also may have eaten a LARGE poke bowl every single day I was there in addition to several chocolate covered mac nuts. Confession over.
As much as I ADORE travel, it is always nice to get home from a trip and back into a routine. So tonight we whipped up these Salmon Basil Burgers to celebrate being home, eating clean, and the CONTINUED hot summer weather here in San Diego!
Salmon Basil Burgers
Ingredients (serves 2-3)
1 lb fresh Salmon (wild-caught preferable)
1 large shallot, chopped
1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
1 stalk celery, diced
butter/olive oil for sautéing
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil, chopped
salt & pepper to season
lemon wedges to season
2 cups arugula or mixed greens
1 medium tomato
1/4 cup mixed sprouts
2-3 green onions, sliced
olive oil + balsamic vinegar (or your own dressing)
- In a cast-iron or saute pan, heat the oil or butter over medium. Saute the garlic, shallot, and celery until just turning translucent. Set the mix aside in a large bowl to cool.
- Remove any bones or skin from the salmon, and using a sharp knife, cut the salmon up very finely, almost into a mush.
- In a large bowl, mix the salmon with the cooked shallot/garlic/celery mix, adding in the chopped basil, the egg, and salt and pepper to taste (I used about a teaspoon each). This part is more fun with your hands, or you could try to just mix it with a big fork like guacamole!
- form the salmon mix into patties - my batch made 4 about the size of my palm.
- heat a little more of the butter/olive oil in the same pan, over medium high heat. Cook the burgers about 4 minutes on each side, checking for desired done-ness by cutting in to peek if you need to.
- Prepare a bed of arugula, with tomato slices, sprouts, green onions, and lemons to squeeze onto the salmon burgers if you like, and serve!
Let me know if you try this recipe, and ENJOY!!