You know how sometimes you travel, and visit a great place, and as you leave you think, "well, good! I've seen that place." And you mentally check it off your list.
And then there are the places - and it happens in my experience very rarely - that wedge their way into your heart, and they aren't going to leave. You literally have dreams about the place, and catch yourself always devising a plan to get back there. These places capture your heart.
Fiji is one of those places for me.
So until November (when I'm so excited to return!) I find myself doing lots of things Feej related... like making this beautiful salad that's got plenty of Fiji-tropical flavors.
But wait, you say - they have green beans in Fiji? Why yes, actually - Koro Sun Resort (our home for the Bula Wellness Retreat) has an incredible garden nestled into the rainforest in which they grow an abundance of beautiful produce!
Fijian Coconut Salad
- 1/2 cup coconut cream (made at home as described here, or out of the can)
- 3 cups washed and thinly sliced green beans
- 3/4 cup finely diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup peeled and thinly sliced cucumbers
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 very finely sliced jalapeño pepper, seeds removed
- juice of one lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- in a pot of simmering water, lightly blanch the green beans by dunking them into the simmering water for about 1 minute. Then strain to remove, and cool by running fresh water over them.
- Combine green beans, diced tomatoes, cucumber, jalapeño, and coconut flakes in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the coconut cream with the lemon juice, and a bit of salt and pepper; whisk with a fork and adjust ingredients to your taste, adding more salt/etc. if needed!
- toss the dressing into the salad and mix to coat.
- Store in the fridge for at least an hour to chill and allow the flavors to mingle.