Pizza. It's probably on most people's "favorite foods" list. No matter the style you like, deep dish, thin crust, only out of a brick oven from Naples... I think the flavor of a beautiful sauce, fresh ingredients, and beautifully melted cheese is what most of us crave. Well, and the dough. But since most regular pizza makes me puffy-faced as a blowfish the morning after, I continue to search for pizza-ish things to keep me satisfied and un-puffy.
Great for kids, as a party appetizer, or for dinner! Feel free to mix up the ingredients based on what pizza toppings you like! These can be made vegetarian or dairy free - just add more veggies! Or for the paleo folks, try using a nice Italian sausage instead of the pepperoni, or in addition!
Ingredients (serves 4)
4 medium zucchini
1 can pizza sauce (Muir Glen Organic uses BPA free cans)
1/2 cup kalamata olives, sliced
6 oz. pepperoni (I used Naturalissima Abruzzese Salami)
1/2 cup spinach, chopped thinly
about 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (more to taste, or Mozzarella)
fresh basil, diced
salt and pepper sprinkle
- preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice zucchini lengthwise, to make about 1/2 inch strips. It may mean slicing a zucchini once down the middle, or you may have to cut into 3 or 4 strips. With a spoon, carve out small scoops of the center to make room for the sauce and toppings to rest.
- top each zucchini strip with sauce, pepperoni, spinach, olives, Parmesan cheese, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes, until cheese melts and zucchini softens.
- top with a little fresh basil, and serve! Be careful - they will be HOT and you will want to CRUSH them!