There are no less than 5 varieties of sweet potato in Whole Foods right now! So I grabbed a white, a purple, and an orange one, and came up with the idea for a trio of baked sweet potatoes, stuffed with goodness.
These were filling enough to become our dinner last night, with a little side salad. They'd be great at a party, or even reheated for breakfast! You definitely don't need to use three different colors of sweet potatoes; I just thought they were so pretty!
Twice-baked Bacon Sweet Potato Skins (serves 4-6)
4 small sweet potatoes
4 strips bacon
2 green onions, sliced
6 oz Raw milk aged cheddar cheese (there's a great one at Trader Joe's) grated
Full-fat sour cream
1 teaspoon O'Brother's Hot sauce
Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Wash and dry the sweet potatoes, then stab all over with a fork. Will the sweet potato explode if you don't take this step? I'm not sure, but let's not find out. Stab it. Bake the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper, for about 45-55 minutes. You want them to be completely cooked. Once cooked, remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and allow to cool.
- Drop the oven temp to 350 degrees, and on another baking sheet, cook the slices of bacon, until browned. Set the cooked bacon aside to cool, and save the bacon fat.
- Once cooled enough to hold, cut the sweet potatoes in half, and carefully scoop the middle out, to make little boats. Place all the scooped sweet potato into a bowl, and set the boats back onto the baking sheet.
- Pour about 2 Tablespoons (or whatever you have) of the bacon fat into the bowl of potato guts. Mix in green onions, salt and pepper to taste, hot sauce, and half of the cheddar cheese.
- Once the bacon is cool enough to handle, cut it into chunks, and add to the potato mix also. Spoon this mix back into the potato boats. Top with the rest of the cheddar cheese.
- Place back into the oven for another 8-10 minutes, until cheese melts.
- Before serving, top with a little dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of green onions!