Inspired by a Pizza Frittata I found on another great site for grain-free recipes, againstallgrain.com, I put together this recipe based on our favorite toppings of the moment. The ingredients can be changed up according to your preference of course, and the cheese and cream omitted if you are avoiding those foods for any reason. Delicious any way you slice it!
Ingredients: (serves 2-3)
1 TBSP heavy cream (optional)
1 TBSP butter or coconut oil for the pan
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup broccoli, finely chopped
1 TBSP chopped garlic
handful of roughly chopped kale or spinach
12-16 pepperoni slices (found a quality, no added nitrates one at Whole Foods)
1/2 cup Pizza Sauce (I use Muir glen, which uses BPA free cans) or crushed tomatoes with Italian seasoning
Handful fresh basil
1/4 cup cheese (optional, parmesan or mozzarella)
- Heat the oven to 400º
- in a bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream (if using) and salt & pepper to taste
- in a small cast iron skillet, heat the coconut oil or butter. Saute the garlic, broccoli, and kale or spinach together about 1-2 minutes
- pour the eggs into the skillet mix, and let rest without disturbing for about 3-4 minutes, just until you can see the sides separate slightly.
- put the skillet into the oven to harden the top, 3 minutes
- remove the skillet from the oven and top the frittata with spoonfuls of pizza sauce, pepperoni, cheese, and basil. Then place back into the oven about 3-4 more minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- remove and enjoy straight out of the skillet (careful - volcano hot!!) or in slices!
What are your favorite pizza toppings? Let me know how you make your frittata and how it comes out!